Shawn Driscoll's Fiction Blog


Ideas Written About

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

About

I parked this fiction blog of mine here years ago with the idea that one day I'd give it a go at writing fiction. Not any kind of "great novel" that I was told about in the 8th grade, but some kind of fiction at least. Any kind. From the three genres. But mostly fictional-wise.

The other day I was watching some YouTubers discussing over a mind map. They were hammering out ideas for a graphic novel and producing a comic script, which is basically a screenplay, for it. I noticed that the software they were using was Final Draft (which I still need to buy at some point, maybe this evening). One of the members in chat had mentioned that they used Scrivener for doing their comic scripts.

After some searching on the Internet, I found Scrivener's online store. It looked amazing. The program organizes your story ideas into a working draft of the book you are writing. The price was cheap. It had a sister program called Scapple, which was even cheaper. Scapple is used for creating just mind maps that can be imported into Scrivener.

One slight problem with Scrivener though is that it does not produce a finished manuscript of your work. You will still need a word processor to do your finished copy. Some people use Word. My copy of Word is twenty years old and doesn't work with Windows 10 anymore. I do have OpenOffice, however, that I can blow the dust off of and have it do some work for me. It uses the .ODT format that Scrivener uses. And Scrivener also writes out using the Final Draft format. But I doubt it is totally compatible with the latest version of Final Draft. That's one of the problems of softwares being updated constantly. They can talk to each other for about six months.

Anyway, I'll be using this blog to show off any works in progress of my writings. And to show any tips that I've learned while using Scapple and Scrivener.

No comments:

Post a Comment