Shawn Driscoll's Fiction Blog


Ideas Written About

Sunday, August 14, 2022

A Sample from My Book

My goal of writing 660 words a day has not happened. I've written zero words for a couple days of last week. Those days were spent trying to tweak the most utility I could get from Scrivener. There were some issues I ran into that Scrivener is not programmed for.

The forum members said that I need to use "such and such" program to accomplish my page formatting goals. All I want is for the first page to not have a page number on it. There are hundreds of YouTube videos showing how to remove numbers from the first page of any Word document. But none for Scrivener.

Now that I know such things are not possible, I can focus on writing my book instead of fussing further with the trial & error interface Scrivener uses. I wish Scrivener's YouTube videos took customers like me beyond just tutorial hell. You have to already know what you are looking for to understand what the videos and instruction manual are talking about.

Anyway, I have the pages looking the way I want them, and compiling my draft into a PDF is a snap. I just need to remember what I did in the settings for things to look right is all. Here is a sample of pages from Chapter 3.



4 comments:

  1. Any idea how many pages this will become?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thing about windows 11... you can talk, ramble on... and Windows will type it for you. Then you can go back and edit. The win 10 version of this sucks, but Win11 really made this feature work exceptionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are there good 3rd party items that will do this effectively on 10? Because what you just said is the first time I've felt tempted to upgrade

      Delete